CAN YOU SWIM? CAN YOU SKATE? DO YOU ENJOY PLAYING IN THE PARK? DO YOU ENJOY PLAYING A GAME OF DODGE-BALL? DO YOU ENJOY MAKING CRAFTS AND FRIENDSHIP BRACELETS? AND MANY MORE UNIQUE QUALITIES…
The After-School Program Counsellor is responsible for supervising After-School activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of children in the program in accordance with all relevant policies and procedures. The After-School Program Counsellor will engage children in free play and take part in leading activities. They will be welcoming to all children and parents while creating a safe and positive environment.
As a staff at Canterbury After-School Program I will actively and enthusiastically participate in everything.
- A critical component of professionalism which is closely related to principles of morality, ethics and legal obligations. Employees are held responsible for actions, judgements and results.
- Being flexible when things change. An adaptable person is one who is open to new ideas and concepts, to working independently or as part of a team, and to carrying out multiple tasks or projects. Someone is regarded as adaptable if they are able to manage multiple assignments and tasks, set priorities, and adapt to changing conditions and/or work assignments.
- The ability to convey thoughts and express ideas effectively using speech in individual or group situations; attends to and fully comprehends what others are saying.
- Decision Making
- A person must beable to forecast an outcome of each option based on multiple situations/opinions to determine which option is the best.
- Evaluates, selects and acts on various methods and strategies for solving problems and meeting objectives before being asked or required to do so.
- Quality built on truth, openness, honest and sincerity. A conscious workplace thrives on trust, integrity and transparency.
- Problem Solving and Strategic Thinking
- Critically analyze problems and generate solutions to the toughest organizational issues.
- Theprocess of working collaboratively with a group of people in order to achieve a goal.
- Planning and Organizing
- Establishes a systematic course of action for oneself or others to ensure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively.
- Excellent Time Management
- The analysis of how working hours are spent and the prioritization of tasks in order to maximize personal efficiency in the workplace.
- Assist Team Leads in leading daily activity plans and establishing acceptable disciplinary policies
- Apply all skills taught in training sessions
- Implement programs and activities that are appropriate for elementary school-aged children
- Take attendance of all children in your group and throughout the duration of work
- Provide input into activity planning and provide support to Team Leads
- Maintain a welcoming, safe and healthy environment for children and their parents or caregivers
- Employee is responsible for the clean-up of their room
- Establish routines for children; providing them with positive guidance and building their self-esteem
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand
- Provide coverage for absent counsellors when required
- Ensure children are supervised at all times while maintaining proper ratios
- Attend staff meetings on scheduled dates
- Promote a positive image of the After-School program to the public
- Completes proper first aid/incident reports using ABC method as required and maintain a daily log if necessary
- Must attend all mandatory and/or related training sessions and meetings as required
- Be familiar with all emergency procedures
- Understand and implement all policies and procedures outlined the CCA employee handbook
- Other duties shall be assigned as required
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in Child Studies, Social Work, Social Sciences, Psychology, Anthropology, ECE, Child and Youth Work, Sociology, Teachers College is considered an asset
- 1 year previous experience working with children is recommended
- Current CPR “C” and First Aid and AED Certificates
- Must be capable of passing a background/police record check
- Proven ability to successfully work with children and their parents in a sensitive, effective and professional manner
- Strong working knowledge of relevant policies and procedures to ensure that children are supervised and safe at all times
- Demonstrated ability to implement safe and appropriate activities for children
- Good organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Strong morals and ethics, sound judgement and reasoning skills, along with a commitment to discretion and staff privacy
- Strong understanding of confidentiality in the workplace
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Physically able to perform all assigned tasks
- Interacts with children, youths, family members, staff
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting and supporting children
- Fast-paced position
- May be required to participate in outdoor activities
- Noise level can be moderate to loud.
Working Periods: August 20th- June 30th
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $15.00 /hour
- Child Care: 1 year (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
Licenses or certifications:
- Police Check (Required)
- First Aid & CPR Level C (Required)
- High Five (Preferred)
- French (Preferred)
- English (Required)