To support the youth of the Alta Vista – Canterbury Community in the pursuit of their educational goals at college or university, and to recognize students who have contributed exceptionally to their community through volunteer work while earning high academic achievement.
NUMBER AND VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
This year the association is offering three (3) $1,500 university or college entrance scholarships. Applicants will be considered for all three scholarships. The scholarships being awarded are:
- The “Mark and Shanti Inman Community Service Scholarship”
- Two additional Canterbury Community Association Volunteer Scholarships
Only one schorlaship per applicant will be awarded. The scholarships are non-renewable.
The scholarships are awarded to first year college or university students. To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be a resident of the Alta Vista ward (boundaries are Bank Street to Riverside, Riverside to Queensway/417, 417 to Walkley Road, and Walkley Road to Bank Street) OR attend a secondary school within the ward and have performed your community volunteering within the ward.
- Be graduating from an Ottawa area high school in the 2017-2018 school year with minimum of six (6) grade 12 credits.
- Have applied for full- time, first year undergraduate studies at an accredited post-secondary education institution for the 2018-2019 school year.
TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
You need to submit the following information:
- A cover letter outlining why you would be a good candidate for this scholarship
- A completed application form. The form can be filled online below OR you can obtain the form from the Association office at 2185 Arch Street. Application forms can also be obtained at most Alta Vista ward high schools.
- Proof of completed Community Service Hours
- An official transcript showing you high school academic record to date, and if necessary a report card showing latest mid-term marks including second semester mid-term marks in semester schools.
- Proof of your application to an accredeted post-secondary educational institution
- An essay (500 word maximum) on the value of community involvment and leadership, and the role it has played in your life.
- Two (2) letters of reference, collectively covering your academic/athletic achievements at a Ottawa are high school and community involvement.
If you are missing any documents listed above your application will not be evaluated.
* At a later date, award winners must provide proof of graduation from an Ottawa are high school; proof of acceptence and registration at an accredited educational institution, and a graduation or head/shoulder photo for publicity purposes.
CLOSING DATE AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Your completed application must received by the Canterbury Community Association Scholarship Committee postmarked no later than May 11, 2018. For further information, please call 613-738-8998 and leave a message for the scholarship committee.
SELECTION OF WINNERS
The Evaluation Criteria in each category is given below:
- 80% for participation in volunteer Community and School activities
- 20% for academic performance (grades)
- While volunteer school and Community Service Hours are taken into account, additional volunteer community activity is given preference as well as leadership roles in the community
Academic performance (grades)
- Your best six (6) grade- 12 marks. In semester schools, this is a combination
Participation in volunteer Community and School activities
- The length of time and commitment to community and school activities taken into account
- Participation in volunteer school activities is accepted, but community volunteer activity is given preference
- A leadership role in community and school activities will be given additional consideration
AWARDING OF SCHOLARSHIP AND OBLIGATION OF WINNERS
Only recipients of the scholarships will be contacted by phone by Monday, May 28th, 2018.
Winners will be invited to attend the Canterbury Community Association’s Annual Dance Recital, to be held on Sunday, June 3rd, 2018 for he presentation if their scholarship awards.